Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Honeycomb cannelloni

Honeycomb cannelloni is a wonderful, original recipe title; while the accompanying picture in Jamie's book is simply stunning. I wanted to make this dish from the first time I opened the book, mainly out of curiosity, but also because it appeared to be a simplified yet cool way of cooking cannelloni without spending hours filling the tubes. Initially I couldn't locate a suitable pan but my lovely husband bought me one last week (not just for this particular dish - we didn't have a nice pasta pan...) and I was eager to be able to test this intriguing-looking recipe.

First I made a vegetable ragu, of celery, carrot, onion, leek, Portobello mushrooms, porcini, garlic, tomatoes and basil, which simmered until thick, filling the house with a happy Italian-esque aroma.

Then I wilted some spinach and seasoned it with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Next I made a quick white sauce of creme fraiche, cream, chopped anchovies and Parmesan.

Finally it was time to assemble the dish - cheese sauce first, then spinach, then half of the ragu, into which I plunged the cannelloni tubes - upright, whereas conventionally they are lying down, if that makes sense. I added the remainder of the ragu then covered the dish with the rest of the white cheesey sauce, before baking in the oven until browned.

Mmm - another delicious dinner. The sauce tasted rich and warming and the pasta and cheesey sauce complemented it perfectly. There are loads of vegetables in there so I can feel proud of having exceeded my recommended five a day. And best of all - there are masses of leftovers for our lunches tomorrow and Friday, which I'm looking forward to already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks grrrreat! My mouth is watering! i can just imagine how lovely the cheese sauce and ragu tasted with the pasta! YUM! Good job!

ilana xoxo

Claudia said...

Spice, they look great! I really want to give them a try!

Andrew said...

I'm planning on making this recipe but I can't decide if I should use regular or oven ready cannelloni. Any suggestions?