Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Honeycomb cannelloni

Honeycomb cannelloni is a wonderful, original recipe title; while the accompanying picture in Jamie's book is simply stunning. I wanted to make this dish from the first time I opened the book, mainly out of curiosity, but also because it appeared to be a simplified yet cool way of cooking cannelloni without spending hours filling the tubes. Initially I couldn't locate a suitable pan but my lovely husband bought me one last week (not just for this particular dish - we didn't have a nice pasta pan...) and I was eager to be able to test this intriguing-looking recipe.

First I made a vegetable ragu, of celery, carrot, onion, leek, Portobello mushrooms, porcini, garlic, tomatoes and basil, which simmered until thick, filling the house with a happy Italian-esque aroma.

Then I wilted some spinach and seasoned it with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Next I made a quick white sauce of creme fraiche, cream, chopped anchovies and Parmesan.

Finally it was time to assemble the dish - cheese sauce first, then spinach, then half of the ragu, into which I plunged the cannelloni tubes - upright, whereas conventionally they are lying down, if that makes sense. I added the remainder of the ragu then covered the dish with the rest of the white cheesey sauce, before baking in the oven until browned.

Mmm - another delicious dinner. The sauce tasted rich and warming and the pasta and cheesey sauce complemented it perfectly. There are loads of vegetables in there so I can feel proud of having exceeded my recommended five a day. And best of all - there are masses of leftovers for our lunches tomorrow and Friday, which I'm looking forward to already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks grrrreat! My mouth is watering! i can just imagine how lovely the cheese sauce and ragu tasted with the pasta! YUM! Good job!

ilana xoxo

Claudia said...

Spice, they look great! I really want to give them a try!

Andrew said...

I'm planning on making this recipe but I can't decide if I should use regular or oven ready cannelloni. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

You should try the original Jamie Oliver béchamel sauce substitute, made of crème fraîche, single cream, lemon juice and grated feel, as well as grated parmesan. Simply divine, and so much tastier than the original, especially in his own honeycomb Christmas cannelloni recipe!